A Gilt Brass Waterwheel Timepiece by Peter Bonnert
Avery & Dash Collections
A Gilt Brass Waterwheel Timepiece by Peter Bonnert. An English gilt brass constant force waterwheel timepiece by the highly respected contemporary horologist Peter Bonnert. The six pillar movement with pierced tapered plates, three wheel train with six-spoke wheel crossings and deadbeat escapement driven by a large wheel with compartments to rim to take ball bearings fed every minute from above by a conveyer belt driven by a separate four pillar single fusee movement with dual spring barrels housed in the base, the ball bearings being subsequently released when at four o’clock position and directed via channels to be picked-up by scoops applied to the multi-link conveyor belt with motion governed by trip release mechanism behind the ‘waterwheel’, the conveyor support engraved Peter Bonnert, Maidstone, 1971, the 7.25 inch open-centred circular dial plate with engraved Roman numerals and blued steel fleur-de-lys pattern hands, on rectangular figured walnut veneered plinth with winding hole to front and brass-lined canted skirt with brass squab feet, (cover lacking), 44cm (17.5ins) high. Peter Bonnert is a highly respected contemporary horologist who became a fellow of the British Horological Institute in 1968 and was awarded ‘The Master’s Medal’ by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers’ for his exemplary services to horology in 2010. Peter Bonnert is perhaps best known as illustrator of the landmark publication CARRIAGE CLOCKS, Their history and development with text by Charles Allix, first published in 1974. The current lot is based upon a design exhibited at the ‘Exposition Universelle’ of 1900 which was illustrated by Planchon in La Revue Chronometrique published in October of that year. Related timepieces are illustrated and discussed in Roberts, Derek Mystery, Novelty & Fantasy Clocks pages 72-3.
- Depth: 9.75 Width: 19.0 Height: 17.0
- Lead Time
- Varies (Limited Edition)
About Avery & Dash Collections
Avery & Dash is an antique center featuring 22,000 square feet of period furnishings and decorative accessories from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.