Design is a balancing act! It takes the expertise of a well-seasoned design professional to offset competing design elements and strike a perfect harmony. In these designer bedrooms glamour meets comfort in perfect balance, read on to discover 10 tips to bookmark.45
1. Upholster the Walls - "Create a visual focal point to anchor the headboard in the space with an upholstered wall, plus this adds an extra layer of comfort and warmth".
2. Mix Wood Finishes - "Design decisions can be tough, but sometimes you do not have to narrow it down to a single selection. A well trained designer knows the art of mixing various wood graining and finishes".
3. Think Linear - "Make a space feel open by selection furnishings that compliment the lines of the room moving linearly right to left in a elongating manner".
4. Avoid a White Ceiling - "Add a does of “glam” with a golden metallic, wallpapered or statement painted ceiling".
5. Be Bold - "If the bedding and furnishings are more discreet, go loud with the drapery fabric. Patterns are an opportunity to interject rich personality into the bedroom".
6. Less is More - "For a peaceful nighttime retreat, create an escape sans all distractions".
7. Warm Things Up - "Who says a fireplace only belongs in a living room, break the norm and incorporate a fireplace into the bedroom plan. How luxurious to fall asleep to the crackle of firewood and a glimmering light in the colder winter months!"
8. Design for a Client's Lifestyle - "Do you read every night before bed? Add wall lighting for comfort and ease. Like lots of pillows? Pile them on. Or better yet, are you a TV junkie? Design a space for technology so it does not seem like an after thought".
9. Change with the Season - "Start with a white base and use decorative accessories to layer in colors and patterns, this allows for the client to reinvent the bedroom as trends evolve".
SHOP: The Valentine Bed, McGill Design Group Inc. (starting at $9,995) // Dungaree Coral Fabric (31835.119), Modern Colors III - Kravet Couture (price on request) // Meander Chandelier, Avantgarden (price on request)
10. Work the Walls - "Use light to enhance a space and add texture and interest to the walls. In this bedroom, we love how the lighting reflects the architectural arches".