Since 1926, J. Pocker has been the go-to source for high-end custom framing, mirrors, and art prints in New York. Before retiring from the business in 2017 and handing over the reins to Eric Mauskopf, Robyn Pocker (grandaughter of the original owners) gave us her advice about ways to make the most of wall decor with insights about best arrangements, frames and more. See what she had to say.
1. A gallery wall lets you display everything you love. When it's hung well (by a professional!), it will look effortless.
2. For large wall spaces around a fireplace, pick statement pieces to balance the furniture with what's hanging above the mantel. Small won't work.
3. In a busy room, mirrors can be a better choice than artwork and still provide the opportunity to be creative.
4. With a period piece, make sure to chose a frame that is compatible with the artwork even if the rest of the room has a more contemporary look and feel.
5. A gallery wall is about making a statement. If you are only using a few pieces, make sure that each is powerful.
6. A traditional subject works best with a traditional frame. The pairing creates a classic look that complements strong furniture.
7. When you have several pieces that follow a common theme, try hanging them in a grid. The repeat will make the theme resonate even more.
8. Go for the unexpected with a frame made of leather. Animal skin adds drama and creates endless design possibilities.
Receive design news about new products, Editor's Picks, design insights and more