There are a few style pitfalls that trip up even the most intrepid home decor enthusiast. Read about some of the most common decorating mistakes everyone makes, and see if you're guilty of a few.
1. The Looks-Great, Feels-Uncomfortable Piece Of Furniture. The decor world equivalent of the Stiletto heel: Beautiful, but
oh-so-impractical. It ultimately taught you that no matter how good-looking
something is, if you can't sit/walk/relax on it, it's not for you.
2. The Overly-Trendy Piece. It looked amazing in the store window. And in the magazine. But in your house?
It clashed with your favorite pieces and looked strange. Since then you only
focus on trends that feel like you.
3. The Wall Color You Didn't Test...And It Promptly Looked
Completely Off. There's nothing like painting an entire room moss green....before realizing
that with your lighting and wall texture, it looks nothing like it did in the
can. Now, you paint a swatch before any further commitments.
4. The “Dream Lifestyle” Purchase. The oversized table when you never actually entertain. Or the wall-sized TV
when really all you want to do in your living room is read. After this, you buy
for the lifestyle you have, not the one you think you might have one day.
5. The Quick Fix. Maybe at the time you were more fixated on spending on vacation rather than a
new chair. But when your cheap chair broke a year later, you learned they
weren't kidding when they say “Buy the best, only cry once. ”
6. The Too-Complicated Organization System. “Bills go in the green folder, unopened mail in the blue drawer, casual
stationery on the top shelf...or is it top shelf stationery on the top shelf?”
If it was too hard to remember, it was probably the time for you to downgrade.
We applaud you for doing what's right for you.
7. The Un-Researched Flora. Similar to the too-trendy piece, this plant looked great somewhere else...but
floundered in your home. Now you take stock of the lighting and space
conditions you have to offer before heading to the nursery.
8. The Disastrous DIY. “But it looked so great on Pinterest...” And now you know if you're not crafty,
it's time to go to the experts.
9. The Cliché Art. It got you used to the idea of having something special on your wall, but made
you realize how important it is to make that piece meaningful.
10. The Ambitiously White Item. You didn't weigh all the things you love (chocolate, red wine) against this one
purchase. But now you know not to even try...or if you're the type who doesn't
mind being extra-careful (or spending the extra time cleaning.)
By Amy Preiser