A lack of square footage shouldn't limit your big ideas (or your Pinterest board).
1. The Entryway. Do you absentmindedly pass by a blank entry wall each day? Fill it with art, architectural sconces, and a slim table.
2. The Foot of Your Bed. Studio-dwellers take note: A desk placed at the end of the bed can become an in-a-pinch home office. (Just keep the top free of any clutter that could be kicked over in the middle of the night.)
3. Under the Stairs. If you're lucky enough to have open floorspace here, reclaim it by creating a cozy nook.
4. The Front of Bookshelves. If built-ins leave no bare walls for art, plant prints right in the middle of the shelves. We love this trick if you have a collection habit you simply can't kick.
5. The Hallway. Think of this space as a transitional room. It's great for showcasing antiques, narrow furnishings, and photos. Or, experiment with painted stripes, which offer the illusion of spaciousness.
6. Above the Cabinets. Repurpose this "no man's land" as a shadowbox for displaying your favorite knick knacks and collections.
7. In Front of a Window. While a built-in seat is ideal, even a chair or ottoman next to the window makes for a wonderful spot to read.
By Brie Dyas