Annie Downing Interiors strives to create unique, inspired, sophisticated interiors that focus on details.
Since founding her eponymous design firm in 2011, Annie Downing Interiors has completed projects throughout the South. She has developed a reputation for creating sophisticated, unique and bespoke interiors that focus on details. ADI is a full-service firm that specializes in all aspects of interior design from the initial conceptual phase through the construction process with a focus on timeless and livable interiors.
Over the past five years, Downing has expanded Annie Downing Interiors to include a design showroom with a personally-curated inventory of vintage furniture, many of which have designer provenance, accessories, and newly upholstered pieces. Her showroom is located in downtown Austin in the growing “design destrict.” It is a destination for the design trade and the consumer with an eye for the sophisticated and fresh.
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- For an accent - black. Pink in the right dose is a good one. A classic white.
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- The Soho House in Chicago and JK Place in Florence, Italy.
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- A notebook, iPhone for photos, and a digital camera.
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Travel or in my own city. Austin knows good style.
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- Clark's Oyster Bar & Josephine House in Austin.
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- The Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. I used to work at the White House and would sneak over there for an occasional mental break.
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- Friday nights at home with the kids. That's our alone time when all of us are pretty exhausted from the week. Then it's go, go, go. Riding, soccer games, flag football. It's all about the kids right now and I wouldn't have it any other way.
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Books. I gravitate towards books about David Hicks, Sister Parish, Albert Hadley, Frances Elkins, Billy Baldwin. Their work inspires me anew.
- How do you keep it all together?
- Well, that is something I am constantly striving to achieve. I try to stay in the now. If I am with my kids I try to stay focused on them. If I am at work I try to focus on what I love about my job which is the creative process. It's a constant effort. I couldn't do it if my husband weren't so supportive of my career. For that I am very grateful. And asking for help when I need it.
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Either! As long as it makes sense and is executed well.