“Comfort is the Greatest Luxury.”
Todd Davis and Rob Brown joined their shared passion for classic architecture, discerning environments, and extraordinary craftsmanship to create Brown Davis Interiors in 1994. Rising stars in the elite environs of Washington DC, Brown Davis has designed two residences for the Clintons, President and Secretary of State, The British Embassy residence and an array of exceptional projects involving contemporary and historic renovation. Always seeking inspiration and growth in artistic styles and influences, Brown Davis now has a second office in Miami, Florida. The saturated hues, tropical landscape and design mecca have influenced a bold aesthetic that resists conformity. It is instead a uniquely American perspective, fusing the traditional roots of classicism, with an exuberant, sensual vitality.
Brown Davis practices couture interior design. Every choice is an intimate reflection of the client; creating distinctive and elegant spaces for lives well lived.
Rob Brown, a gifted colorist, creates custom palettes that harmonize and balance transitions among eclectic furnishings. As knowledgeable art connoisseurs Brown Davis have discovered emerging artists that have now become established. They integrate their clients’ museum quality art within their residences, creating compelling environments for important work. Comfort is an indispensable priority. Texture, light and pattern are orchestrated for enduring warmth and harmony. Working closely with master artisans, Brown Davis designs bespoke furnishings, perfectly scaled for size and function. Todd Davis trains his exacting eye on the technical challenges of architectural integrity; classical restoration and contemporary renovation both re-imagine the structural and esthetic foundation upon which everything rests. Building exteriors and landscape design are thoughtfully considered and equally essential to complete their remarkable residential, hospitality and commercial projects situated in New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Maryland, Florida, and Maine.
Both partners have MBAs contributing to their refined project management, and fiscal responsibility. Coupled with design intelligence, Brown Davis has earned their most cherished honor: Trust.
INDUSTRIAL LOFT LIVING SPACES
“COMFORT IS THE GREATEST LUXURY”
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- I love the power and energy that comes from juxtaposition ....so I love contrast. For example: Striking Ivory with navy blue or black., sexy mauve with charcoal, stunning aqua with mahogany, friendly coral with cream...just to name only a few!! Each color scheme for our clients comes from a bespoke perspective that the spaces must reflect the client, conditions, setting and function. A home and color choice should look like a custom glove that fits the client effortlessly.
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- The Belair Hotel Los Angeles, The London West Hollywood and NYC
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- My Iphone camera and Screen Shots on my MAC
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Dering Hall, Houzz.com, 1st dibs, Strolling La Cienega Blvd and Melrose, LA
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- EAT New York, Gordon Ramsey, The London, Los Angeles, Scarpeta Miami Beach, Top of the Standard New York, Juvia Miami Beach, The Standard Miami Beach (sitting outside by the Pool and Biscayne Bay), Soho House West Hollywood
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- The Frick New York, The Phillips Collection DC, The Hirshorn DC
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- Hot strong coffee, then... If in Miami Beach, flying along like "Speedracer" on my bike bedside the Atlantic Ocean...or if in LA, a hike up Runyon Canyon or Franklin Canyon...hopefully with someone who has a dog!!!
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Creative people are always looking for and feeling change. Inspiration can come from fashion, architecture, auto design or nature to name a few. My biggest influence comes from a conscience practice to remain "open" in my heart and "fearless" in my seeking of new adventures.
- How do you keep it all together?
- ....with faith that our exceptional team and golden talent has "what it takes" .....and that the answers WILL come! Also, yoga, walking and swimming.
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Rob Brown, I grew up with English parents who designed their gardens to have "organized chaos"....however, ...I love "groomed" every time!! While growing up I watched TV that depicted southern California households with tall clipped hedges and round topiary trees contained in square planters. If you add palm trees looming above and a blue sky to that picture, you have the golden fantasy I fell in love with at an early age. :) Todd Davis, I grew up living in both Southern Ca and Washington, DC. We always lived in what are now Mid Century Modern homes. I love the formal gardens of the East Coast but also love the Asian influences on the West Coast.