“He treats all artists as his brethren…cherishing the
fire of their genius by encouragement."
– as said of Carl Gustav Tessin
Rhonda Eleish and Edie van Breems are the founders of Eleish van Breems, a company devoted to supplying fine Scandinavian furniture, antiques and providing custom interior design services. The designers are known for imparting their inviting Scandinavian aesthetic into homes ranging from rustic backcountry retreats to larger estate properties and city apartments.
“Our approach to design stems from a modern application and interpretation of Scandinavian interiors and form.” says Rhonda, " The objective is to visually succeed in an environment where less is more; clutter is eliminated and natural balance is achieved.
Their sought after design aesthetic led Rhonda and Edie to publish two bestselling Scandinavian interior design books, Swedish Interiors (2006, Gibbs Smith) and Swedish Country Interiors (2009, Gibbs Smith), with their latest book, “Reflections on Swedish Interiors,” released by Gibbs Smith Publisher in 2013. “Our books,” says Edie “grew from a need to share the knowledge we have gathered from our Swedish heritage, teachers, mentors and travels, as well as a need to define a standard for great Scandinavian interiors and design in the United States. Our mission is to, wherever possible, introduce a clean, elegant, and fresh approach to interiors, all with a Scandinavian essence.”
Eleish van Breems started as a fine antiques gallery in Woodbury, CT in 1998. Set in a historic 1760 house and garden, the store was a compelling example of a Scandinavian lifestyle on display. Rhonda and Edie’s fresh take on Gustavian formal and country Swedish folk antiques mixed with the latest accessories from Scandinavia quickly became a go to resource, with an international following. Interiors and a line of historically based Swedish furniture soon followed.
Today, Rhonda and Edie have moved their storefront to Westport, CT where their design work has taken center stage. To achieve each client’s vision they work with the finest artisans, builders and workrooms on both sides of the Atlantic and are known for their expertise in the layering of textures and soothing use of colors. “We are totally focused on creating for our clients spaces to live in that are highly personal and that, above all, inspire them”.
12 HIGH STYLE DINING ROOMS
DERING HALL AT HOUSING WORKS’ DESIGN ON A DIME BENEFIT
TO ROME WITH LOVE BY CAROLYN ENGLEFIELD
ELEISH VAN BREEMS VISITS THIS OLD HOUSE
DH SHOPPING WITH KATIE EASTRIDGE
ELEISH VAN BREEMS Q&A
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Fresh, Crisp Neutrals
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Glenapp Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- NOMA, Copenhagen, Denmark
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Skansen Outdoor Museum, Stockholm, Sweden
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- With family and friends
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Anything fresh, different and original. The best inspiration comes from just walking the street and exploring.
- How do you keep it all together?
- Good Time Management and a lot of Omega 3,6,and 9
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?