“For successful design, select classics for the big pieces and layer eclectic for the rest.”
Peter Dunham was born in England and spent his formative years there and in France and Spain. His design career began with an apprenticeship under David Hicks while studying international business administration. In 1998, Dunham relocated to Los Angeles from New York and began designing homes for high-profile clients. He has also worked on many commercial projects including hotels, offices and medical facilities. In 2003, he expanded his business with the launch of his collection of hand-printed textiles, updated designs of vintage prints with Indian, Turkish and Mediterranean influences. Dunham’s work has been recognized by the press and the design community. His style has been described by the Los Angeles Times as “Merchant Ivory Moderne” and by The Wall Street Journal as “restraint with a kick.” Dunham has been named a House Beautiful “Top 100 Designer” five years in a row; House & Garden named him a “New Tastemaker” in 2005; and Western Interiors & Design listed him on “The List” of designers and architects three years running. His work has been published in almost every design and shelter magazine in the United States and abroad, including The World of Interiors, House Beautiful, Elle Decor, Architectural Digest, VERANDA, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, W, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and C magazine. Additionally, Dunham has participated in seven national designer show houses. In 2009, he received the “Star of Design” award from the Pacific Design Center. In addition to his interior design business and textile collection, Dunham also offers a signature line of furniture. In 2007, he opened Hollywood at Home, a retail outlet that provides design-savvy customers with an extraordinary collection of interior textiles, custom home furnishings and must-have vintage pieces.
SUNNY STYLES: HOW THE TOP INTERIOR DESIGNERS OF LOS ANGELES UP THEIR INTERIORS WITH VIBRANTHUES
DESIGN FOR THE ART LOVER
TREND ALERT: WICKER
SURF, SAND, AND STYLE
DH SHOPPING WITH TOM STRINGER
DH SHOPPING WITH STUDIO VAN DEN AKKER
DH SHOPPING WITH SCHUYLER SAMPERTON
DH SHOPPING WITH SUZANNE TUCKER
SHOP THE DERING HALL AD!
HOLLYWOOD AT HOME Q&A
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Benjamin Moore Palladium Blue
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Samode Haveli, Jaipur
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- SONY NEX-3 digital camera
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- La Grenouille
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, TX
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- I hike with a group of friends in one of Los Angeles's spectacular parks
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- David Hicks
- How do you keep it all together?
- Transcendental meditation
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- A combination of both