‘Somewhere between creative energy and pure serenity, I find balance. Life is about balance, so is design.’
KNOF design is owned and inspired by Susan Knof, international interiors professional whose work has graced the covers of over seven leading global magazines. Having lived and worked in New York, Sydney and London, her background lends a sophisticated and cosmopolitan style to her designs. As Director, Susan started the company in 2012 after over 15 years in the architecture and design industry.
Her tenure includes roles at large architectural practices, such as Gensler, TPG, and SOSH Architects based in New York City. Prior to establishing KNOF design she was a lead designer with luxury London based design practice, SHH architects, where she lead a team focusing on high-end Residential interiors throughout the UK and Europe. She holds a BFA (Hons) from Miami University where she majored in Interior Design. Susan was an Associate Professor at Berkeley College in the USA and has also done volunteer construction work for ‘Habitat for Humanity International’ in mainland USA and Hawaii. She is a full member of the BIID and is a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accredited professional. In 2011 Susan was invited to be on the steering committee of leading British design publication IDFX.
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Brilliant White as the blank canvas for creation.
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Amandari - Ubud, Bali
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- My camera
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Milan Design Week + Copenhagen
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- Too many restaurants, not enough meals in a day! Fat Radish - New York
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Cooper Hewitt - New York or the summer pavilion at the Serpentine Gallery - London. It soothes my soul.
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- Going to see live music, a run home through central London, meeting friends for a glass of wine and good food, cooking at home, or jet setting somewhere new...all depends on the mood.
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Gio Ponti, Louis Kahn, Álvaro Siza, Antoine Predock...
- How do you keep it all together?
- A good laugh, a happy heart, and a sketchbook in hand. When inspiration strikes I like to sketch it out to keep my mind clutter free.
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Structured layout with organic and freestyle plantings.