“Because every client is unique, a versatile approach is key. We channel our client’s individual aesthetics and requirements, apply our knowledge of architecture and design, and create interiors that maintain a well-defined balance and ethos of home.”
At Martin Young Design, we like creating homes that are the perfect expression of the people who inhabit them and the places that inspire them. We are an interior design firm with an architectural point of view; our projects integrate our clients’ lifestyle with their surrounding environment through scale, proportion form, color, material, and spatial relationships. Whether we are designing a six-bedroom home or a 600-square foot apartment, our objective is always to create a balance between quality and comfort as well as function and utility.
Martin Young founded his eponymous firm in 2012. He possesses a broad knowledge of design and cultural aesthetics, having lived and worked all over the world. He has resided in Amsterdam, Stockholm, New York City, and San Francisco. His 15 years of professional experience in architecture, interior architecture, and design includes four years in The Netherlands at such noted offices as MVRDV in Rotterdam, OTH in Amsterdam, and antiquaire Anne Paul Brinkman in Amsterdam, two years as Designer at Steven Volpe Design in San Francisco, and more than five years as Senior Designer at The Wiseman Group in San Francisco
Mr. Young earned a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture from the University of California at Berkeley and a Masters in Architecture from Columbia University in New York City. This mix of vocation, location, and education give Mr. Young a unique expertise that shows in his practice.
SCOUTING NEW YORK CITYS COLLECTIVE DESIGN FAIR WITH MARTIN YOUNG
12 INSPIRING READING ROOMS
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Herengracht Groen - a classic color found on the front doors of historic canal houses in Amsterdam.
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Seven One Seven in Amsterdam - the rooms are diverse, comfortably luxurious, and historically evocative.
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- Digital camera.
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Travel, or on the streets, or wherever I might be - style is our visual link to culture, community, and experience.
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- The home of two dear friends who are architects - owners of Tinmouth Chang Architects in NYC - their home is stylish, their guests are always interesting, and their cooking and hospitality top any restaurant experience.
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Kröller-Müller Museum, part of De Hoge Veluwe National Park, The Netherlands - a wonderful showcase in which art and architecture can work in synchronicity with nature.
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- The same way as I start everyday... a cappuccino made the way I learned at Thomas Cara Ltd. in San Francisco.
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- The personal experience of having lived and worked in San Francisco, Amsterdam, New York, and Stockholm.
- How do you keep it all together?
- Live in the Now.
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Either... as long as it is executed with thoughtfulness, quality, and detail.