“Your interior space should be an extension of your personality and enrich your life.”
Our soulful, energetic approach to design makes the creative process exciting – and accessible — for our clients. Drawing from the client’s personal history and lifestyle, Mia Rao Design infuses character into a space. The ultimate objective for each project is to achieve a well-balanced, beautiful interior which is functional and uniquely yours.
Established in 2001, our Chicago-based, full-service interior design team focuses on livable modern and classic design for both residential and commercial interiors.
In the Fall of 2012, CS Interiors chose Mia Rao Design Inc. as “Best In Design / All Around – Interior Design Firm”.
Mia collaborates with her clients to surpass conventional design ideas and to welcome a fresh approach to creating the ideal space. Her trademark intuitive nature allows her to connect with a client’s personality, needs and lifestyle. She uses that connection to transform a space into a true reflection of its occupants.
Mia also draws design inspiration from her Italian and Finnish heritage. She infuses the textures, patterns and colors she has observed within nature and while traveling the world. She expertly blends styles and fuses a room into a cohesive, welcoming space. Mia’s designs elicit visual interest, depth and energy. Her arts-based education enriches her design awareness, affording her the ability to see a space as a blank canvas ripe for artistic and creative expression.
Many projects continue in her home-base of Chicago, as well as in California, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and throughout Illinois.
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Grey is a great neutral base for any project. To add some excitement, I love teal, turquoise and red. These colors, in their many variations, can be quite versatile.
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- By far, the Hotel St. Cecilia in Austin, TX. Very funky, eclectic vibe!
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- iPad & iPhone hands down. Take great pics and carry your portfolio all in one.
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- People watching and boutique shopping in the cities that are known for cutting edge style; New York, Paris, Milan, Rome....
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- La Colonial, timeless Vietnamese that is always delicious.
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- With my family and an ice cold micro brew.
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Traveling around the world throughout my life has definitely influenced my design style. I think it comes through in my use of color and the eclectic feel of my projects.
- How do you keep it all together?
- Breath, exercise and write it down ASAP!
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- A little of both like my personal style.