“I love to inspire through beauty, comfort, and function a sense of calm and happiness.”
A native of Bogotá, Colombia, Moises Esquenazi’s interest and early education in art were fostered by his grandmother, an artist and patron of contemporary Colombian artists, as well as by his father, an ambassador, engineer and farmer. Esquenazi was educated primarily in the U.S., earning a B.A. from Cornell University and an M.F.A. from the University of Southern California. Esquenazi’s early career was spent as an architectural renderer and animator, working on such projects as Steve Wynn’s Freemont Street Experience in Las Vegas and the AT&T Olympic Pavilion in Atlanta. His education in architecture and fine arts as well as the skills he fine-tuned as an animator proved invaluable for 3D modeling and rendering when he transitioned into a new career as an interior and products designer in 2000. Esquenazi is also an accomplished photographer, having exhibited at The Makor Center in New York City as well as GalleryB in Sag Harbor, NY. Whenever possible, Esquenazi customizes his clients’ homes by designing custom furnishings or wall coverings for them. Instead of focusing on a particular style, he strives to integrate the client’s background with the style of the architecture and the local surroundings, and always allowing function to guide the design. Having the focus on function permits the client to drop some pre-conceived ideas of what the space should look like, resulting in a more creative use of elements. Esquenazi’s Palm Springs home was featured as one of the “Best Homes in America” in the 25th Anniversary edition of Metropolitan Home, and his Hamptons home was the feature story for the magazine in a recent issue. Additional work has been published in House Beautiful. The Los Angeles Times, SPACE Magazine, The London Telegraph, Hamptons Cottages & Gardens and British Homes and Gardens. Esquenazi is currently developing his own furniture, wallpaper and fabric line.
GET THE LOOK: A CHICAGO GREYSTONE GETS A COLORFUL MODERN UPDATE
GET THE LOOK: A FRESH MIX OF COLOR
ALL IN THE DETAILS
DH SHOPPING WITH MARGUERITE RODGERS
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Le Sereno, St. Barthélemy
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- iPad iPhone
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- The streets
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- Andres Carne de Res, Chia, Colombia
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Donacion Botero , Bogota, Colombia
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- Friday night dinner with friends
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- How do you keep it all together?
- Lists and deep breaths
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Freestyle with select groomed areas