DESIGN | BUILD | LIVE
Founded in 1979 by Rodger Owen and his partner Charles Grode, BGD&C is a full-service DESIGN/BUILD firm specializing in completely bespoke homes within Chicago’s Lincoln Park and Gold Coast neighborhoods. With over three decades of architectural design and construction expertise in both new and renovated residential properties, BGD&C has earned a reputation for exceptional quality and unparalleled service. Each project offers the opportunity to create a special, elevated custom home that is as singular and remarkable as its client. As stewards of craftsmanship, BGD&C is proud to produce homes with precision and passion.
BGD&C distinguishes itself from other homebuilders and developers by presenting a completely integrated experience—from initial concept to the last finished detail. The company commits its attention to a project and believes quality requires time. BGD&C’s method of managing both the design and build phases allows complete coordination of the project and provides substantial benefits to clients. Budgets and timelines are adhered to; communication is always open. Clients are regarded as partners in this process, and the team of experts translates their unique wishes into beautiful spaces for living.
To achieve a truly customized result, every detail is carefully weighed and every option vigilantly considered. BGD&C believes in timeless, elegant design. A home is much more than a layout and furnishings, and so the company’s commitment to executing the finest residences includes understanding client lifestyles, personal needs and finding the ideal union of function and enduring aesthetics. If a homeowner wants a particular interior element or feature then artisans, specialists or entire workshops are enlisted to produce the perfect piece. If a floor plan needs reconfiguring, it is revised and reviewed as many times as necessary to ensure the perfect fit.
Known for their meticulous attention to detail and high standards for construction, BGD&C transforms ideas, plans and specifications into action. The complicated process of building custom homes is expertly managed at all stages, ensuring an exquisite finished product that surpasses expectations. Merging originality and exclusivity with superior craftsmanship, BGD&C creates homes for family tradition and lasting memories.
- What’s your go-to classic color choice?
- Charles: Linen/Ivory White Rodger: Classic Cool Tones
- Is there a hotel that’s most inspired your work while traveling?
- Charles: Other than a tent on a mountaintop or in the deep woods, maybe Hotel Regina in Paris or other small quaint hotels. Rodger: Plaza Atinea in Paris, Ritz in Madrid
- Which pieces of technology do you use to document design inspiration?
- Charles: Camera Rodger: Camera
- Where do you go to spot new style?
- Charles: World travel Rodger: Europe mostly
- Do you have a favorite restaurant (for the design and the food, of course)?
- Charles: Prefer hole-in-the-wall joints for darn good food and friendly service/clientele. For fancy we like Naha, Les Nomades and Kiki’s. Rodger: NoMad in NYC
- What’s your favorite small museum in the world?
- Charles: Three of my favorites- all in Paris... Musee National Gustave Moreau Musee Jacquemart-Andre Musée Nissim de Camondo Rodger: Musée Jacquemart-André
- How do you usually start your weekend?
- Charles: With a long run on the lake. Rodger: Sailing
- Who or what is your biggest design influence?
- Charles: My parents. They exposed us to all the arts via their ethnic backgrounds and world travel. Rodger: Studying in Europe, fabulous chateaus, old world architecture, Ephesus in Turkey
- How do you keep it all together?
- Charles: Mind-set Rodger: Compartmentalize
- Design a garden: groomed or freestyle?
- Charles: Groomed Rodger: Groomed